Saturday, December 6, 2008

Quest Update #1

178 lbs is my current weight, and I gotta tell ya, I'm feeling good! Now, I realize that this is only a 2 lb drop since the first weigh-in (Nov. 23rd); however, it is progress, and I'm pleased that things are continuing to move along in the right direction... another 13 lbs and I'll be at my personal goal of 165 lb. Although things are progressing slowly, I can tell you that there is definitely a transformation taking place. To date, I've dropped at least one pant size, and, as is common with a shrinking waistline, my love handles are beginning to melt away. I am also enjoying the benefits of an increased energy level, and I seem to be recovering better on the bike; (so far) my legs are cramp free during longer rides.

As part of my training for the upcoming two (2) endurance rides I will participate in, I am making every effort to ride longer distances whenever possible. Yesterday I rode just over 31 miles at Boyette; the original plan was to ride 40 miles, but my riding buddies had both had enough by mile 28, so we decided to settle for just over 30 miles, and so we headed back to the parking lot. The important thing is that I felt extremely comfortable during the entire ride, and I am 100% confident that I could have easily completed the 40 miles with no cramping issues... bring on those 50 miles!

So, what's next? I still have 13 lbs to lose by January 10, 2009, and at this point I firmly believe that it's going to take a little more effort than I had originally thought. It's time to get a little more serious, to start watching portions, and to stop having a nibble or two here and there of those things I shouldn't be consuming. A new riding friend / mentor recently turned me on to this great blog which is dedicated to better living through diet and exercise; http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ take the time to check the blog; it may change your life.

Since learning about this blog I've become a loyal follower, and I've also come to believe that the author is really onto something. A recent post suggested a system cleansing, if you will, through eating only fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, and drinking plenty of water, for a period of 7 - 10 days; my cleansing begins tomorrow!

I must digress here to add a little blurb about the main reason I enjoy the sport of cycling so very much, as it ties-in with part of the philosophies discussed on the aforementioned blog. As I see it, the "Primal Blueprint" is reconnecting with our ancestral selves. Food, exercise, and a connection with nature were each a vital necessity; the key to survival. I believe that (at least) some of you would agree that we as a nation, as a people, have become a bit complaisant these days; a nation of instant gratification of sorts. And why not? A fast convenient meal is just a phone call or a few key-strokes away. Why spend time outdoors when we have everything we need within the comfort of our homes; the kids can entertain themselves with the new Wii or XBox 360, and I can always hit the gym on the way home from work tomorrow... or the next day.

I realize that no one is asking; however, since this is my blog I wish to express my opinion that many of us are lacking something today; something elemental. Ask yourself this question, "When was the last time I was compelled by something?" Can you remember? Sadly, for many of us, the answer is, "No".

Nature is a mighty compelling force and it's out there waiting f0r us. In a single moment, and without even thinking about it, we are moved by the way a ray of sunlight bounces off the tree tops, or the way a distant mountain top glistens with freshly fallen snow. Experiences like these are out there waiting to be had, but they are missed when we spend our lives indoors; tucked away from the sunlight which is so vital to life. So there you have it, cycling is my way of reconnecting with nature; be it a long ride down a twisty single track, or a road ride along a stretch of back county road. There's an entire world just waiting to be explored, so get the entire family involved, grab your bikes, or your backpacks, or your fishing poles, or whatever your fancy and go get you some!

2 comments:

Karlos said...

Poetic!

Nice.

EL SandPine said...

Check out http://sparkpeople.com/ which is what helped me. Tell them "EL-SANDPINE" recommended you so I get some sparkie points. It is what help me shread over 30 lbs early this year. I have been stable since but trying to get back into it to drop another 20.