Tuesday, December 16, 2008

29er Karate Monkey Ride Report

So far I've only had the opportunity to ride the new 29er on two (2) occasions at Boyette. From the moment we set out to the trail head for SST, I knew that this ride experience would be different. Then, once we actually hit the trails I finally understood the hype... bigger wheels = more momentum = better ability to handle trail bump and to power through sections which normally require a little more "work" on the rider's part.

Now, as my new friend El Mucaro recently pointed out, I realize that 29ers are not magical. They do not possess some sort of mystical power which makes one a better rider the moment he or she's ass touches the saddle, and they do not sprinkle magic fairy dust on the trail which automatically smooths out rocky, rooty, more technical sections. As I've said from the very first time a close friend suggested that I make the climb from 26" to 29" wheels, "I'll have to see how 29" wheels are beneficial to others before making the change myself." As an individual who has two (2) years experience on a full rigid, 26" SS, I feel that I am somewhat of an authority on how 26" wheels handle climbs, descents, rocks, roots, sand, mud, and the like. I'm here to tell ya, 29" do offer the more of the one (1) thing which is your friend in most of the aforementioned environments; MOMENTUM... me likey the SPEED through technical sections!

Please, let's not get into the debate about wheels with a heavier rolling mass, or slower steering, or whatever. I'm not here to tell you that 29ers are better, I merely wish to share my experience with you. I still love my 26" bike and I am a firm believer in the expression, "to each, his own" so shut-up, stop your whining, go out, and RIDE!

PEACE!

1 comment:

EL SandPine said...

Ride WHATEVER makes you feel happy. Ride whatever you feel like riding. Enjoy life and your rides and have fun... if you are not having fun then don't be mountain biking...

See you around bro... Where is your san felasco report?