Sunday, November 23, 2008

Day 1 of year 37




Today I celebrated my 37th birthday, and boy did I have a blast! I wanted to keep it low key this year, so I decided on a small intimate cookout with the family and a few friends over at Little Manatee River State Park in Wimauma. This little gem of a park has a ton of stuff to offer; a great canoe launch, horseback riding trails, a really quaint little picnic area complete with a kick a$$ jungle gym set for the kids, and an awesome Old Florida feel. Oh yeah, it’s also conveniently close to my home.

My oldest daughter, Madelene, and I had brought along our bikes, so, after having a light bite to eat for lunch, we donned our helmets, jumped on our single speeds (my 26” and her 20”) and went for a short cruise around part of the park. I really enjoy days like these, and I am truly thankful for this opportunity to bond with my kid. You see, Madelene’s mother and I divorced back when she was about 2-1/2 months-old, and shortly thereafter my former spouse remarried a man in U.S. Navy man; suffice it to say that it’s been trains, planes, and automobiles ever since. Currently, Madelene lives full time in Battleground, IN with her mom, step dad, and three little brothers.

Hey, I’m not complaining. Although there is distance between us, I learned a long time ago to make the best out of a bad situation. I have worked extra hard to stay in Madelene’s life on a daily basis, I have spent lots of $$ over the years on travel expenses so I can see her as often as possible, and I have made peace with the demons that haunted me for a while after my divorce, for I am committed to being whole, so as to be the best Dad I can possibly be.

I'm proud to say that this paternal commitment has paid-off, and that today Madelene and I share a strong relationship and also a fondness for nature and all things in it. On this day, my birthday, my eldest daughter and I we were able to embrace our common bond, and by doing so we did enjoy all the best that nature has to offer; beautiful green surroundings, a meal cooked over an open flame, and few brief encounters with some of the wild’s creatures… all topped off by an awesome sunset! I love going for a bike ride with my kid, and I can’t think of any other way I would have preferred to spend my birthday!

3 comments:

Karlos said...

Nice. Very Nice.

EL SandPine said...

That is awesome... great post man. That almost looks like Simmons Park over in Rusking. No place to ride bike but same setup right on the beach. Check it out some time.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your Birthday, but more importantly on doing what you need to do to nurture your most important relationship with your daughter.