Monday, February 25, 2008

First Boyette Night Ride


The first monthly night ride at Boyette took place this past Friday night. There were somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty (20) riders, and as soon as the ride got underway, we separated ourselves into two groups; the fast crazy group, and the not-so-fast not-so-crazy group. In truth, I don't think there really was a slow group, as everyone seemed to be moving at a pretty good pace.

This was my first ever night ride, and I learned real quick just how important having a good light is. Since I did NOT have a good light, I soon discovered that it is possible to over-ride your light; something I figured out after dropping into the abyss a bit hotter than I should have. The trail just seemed to close in on me, and although my bike skills and memory of what was waiting around the next corner prevailed, it was a bit freaky not being able to see over a drop before going over it; what a rush!
I'm happy to say that, for me, the night was free of any mechanical issues or crashes; however, I wish I could say the same for a few others. Early on we had a rider lose his rear derailleur while climbing out of Gator Pit. Later someone broke his chain back in the Abyss. Shortly after that a good buddy of mine was ejected over his handlebars and pretty much speared an oak tree with the top of his head; yup, you guessed it, he'll be shopping for a new helmet this week.

Thank you to everyone at SWAMP who made this ride possible, and also to the members who volunteered to guide, and also keep up the rear. This ride was very cool, and I hope we are able to keep it on the calendar.

Catch you all on the next one; hopefully I'll have a good reliable light this time.

1 comment:

EL SandPine said...

Luis,
Great report. yea we had a few mechanicals and incidents. More then I remember from any other regular ride actually. Good thing nothing serious. Too bad we are not going to have another Boyette night ride any time soon. They have been suspended indifinately until further issues are worked out between swamp, county lawyer, and EMS. BUT, we do have a monthly night ride at Flatwoods now. Check otu the swamp calendar for it. Ttl...

p.s. Look me up by following my name and check mi blog out.